Monday, 28 August 2017

Fresh Chickpeas, Patty Pans and Sunflowers

Its nearly the end of August and the garden is producing fruit and vegetables at a pace that I cannot keep up with, still I am pleased with myself that this year compared to the past four years that I have done well.

This is the first year that this garden has fed us well.  
Here are just a handful of fruit and vegetables picked this week.  It includes French Bean Climbing Purple Cascade, Plums, Courgette Squash Striato di Napoli , Sunburst Squash patty pans and some nasturtium flowers which have been adorning many a meal lately.  

Early in the week, I had also picked some nasturtium seeds and made Pickled Nasturtium Seed Pods that will be used in place of capers; and nasturtium leaves for nasturtium pesto for a potato salad.  
We finally have some sunflowers, they really do cheer up a garden.  I picked up a mixed bag of sunflower seeds, so its a variety  from dwarf sunflowers to Russian Sunflower which has yet to open its head - if you look at the above picture, its the one in the far left corner.  Its definitely 9 foot tall and maybe still growing.  D wants me to grow giant Sunflowers next year, well they are impressive. The sunflower on the right is just over 5 foot like me.  


I have harvested the first of the Sunburst Squash patty pans, now I have to think of ways to eat them...
I have harvested a load of plums early this week.  Some this morning were made into Cinnamon Plum Jam and some plums were given away last week to immediate neighbours and some friends.
The runner beans are still producing.   I have to admit that I have got bored of the runner beans this year, mostly because I have felt uninspired by them. 
The tomato plants were put into the greenhouse late, so they are a little behind - but they are growing well.  
Green fingers crossed that they do ripen and we get to enjoy them very soon.  
Also hoping that blight does not get to them, so far so good. 
And I still have marrows and courgettes growing, but as you can see from the specimen below - they are a little misshapen, but I don't mind that - it still tastes good. I was just disappointed that I did not get to tuck into many golden yellow ones this year.
And finally, I allured you here with the mention of fresh chickpeas, well here they are.  I went over to see my parents last week and was given some fresh chickpeas.  These were podded and added to a Savoury Pilau - Vegetable Rice.  
I  am sharing this with  Harvest Monday hosted by Dave over Our Happy Acres.  

26 comments:

  1. Ooh. fresh chickpeas! Congratulations on your successful vegetable garden, I hope there are many more in your future. I love all those cheerful sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, I wish I had shown you one out of the pod, it really is a lush green nugget.

      Delete
  2. garden success!
    Let the runner beans finish ripening...then dry..seed for next year and beans to make soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gz.
      I hope the weather in Scotland is not bringing you down too much x
      Thanks for the advice on the funner beans, yes I will dry for next year, a bit nervous about drying them for soup though....

      Delete
  3. It is great when the garden gives you more than enough to eat, though sometimes it is difficult to deal with the extras. I don't think I've ever seen fresh chickpeas, so that's really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave.
      So pleased that i got to show you something new with the fresh chickpeas. I wish I had shown you one out of the pod, it really is a lush green nugget - maybe next year or i will see if my parents still have some to harvest.

      Delete
  4. I love the veg and flowers from your garden...Gorgeous and I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e. I came by and see that the work at your place is still ongoing, i wish for you that it would hurry and finish.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post. Your patty pans are perfectly shaped and look great in that colourful harvest.
    Very interested in the idea of growing chickpeas and eating them fresh, rather than as dried bullets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda. Yes I am please with the patty pans just hope i can do justice to them for dinner.
      Fresh chickpeas taste completely different from dried, maybe have a go at growing them next year. My parents keep wanting me to grow them, but I don't have much ground space to give over to them.

      Delete
  6. your garden is so impressive - I really love the sunflowers - our neighbours had sunflowers this year and they were cheery to walk past - and glad to hear you are being well fed - well deserved indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Johanna. It certainly is this year and we are pleased. Made even happier with the sunflowers, I will share a photograph of the Russian Giant when spreads those petals.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful selection of produce, and congratulations on working to get a garden that can genuinely feed you through the summer months. I love the sunflowers too - not so good for eating but very cheery :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. Yes pleased for sure this year. The sunflower seeds will be given to the birds, so it will still be going into someones belly after we have enjoyed admiring them.

      Delete
  8. What a precious harvest!
    Looks like fun to come in the kitchen!
    I love sunflowers. So much!
    But squirrels here eat them before they bloom. I only have 2. But I cherish them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was amused to read that your sunflowers got eaten by the squirrels, i had never heard of that, Hopefully you will enjoy the two you have.

      Delete
    2. I renounced growing zucchinis, corn and sweet peppers because they were eating everything ;-(
      I stay "safe" with tomatoes and kale.

      Delete
    3. oh that is a shame, i am almost giving up on the Brassica family (inc. kale) as the white cabbage butterfly demolishes them all, and if its not them - its the slugs. The challenges of growing veg,

      Delete
  9. How cool to have such a productive and gorgeous garden. I'm looking forward to hearing what you do with the patty pan squash - I've seen them in the supermarket and didn't buy any because I wasn't sure what I'd use them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joey.
      Yes the patty pans, i am thinking about it still - new to me, but promise I will not currify them!

      Delete
  10. Lovely garden. Sunflowers make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the effect we want them to have : )

      Delete
  11. What do you do with your pattypan squash? I've grown them for the first time this year but I'm not sure what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola. Its the first time I have grown them and am still dithering was to what to do with them. I may treat them like courgettes and roast or oven bake them, but hopefully this week - i will have cooked with some and will share a recipe which will be more than stuffing them - hopefully. Sorry not much help...

      Delete
  12. Your garden is indeed doing really well this year: well done, you! We also use nasturtium seeds instead of capers and they do last a long time in the jars... we still have some from the past season.. but have never through of using the leaves for pesto though, so thank you for that idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathryn.
      You should try making pesto with the leaves, its really delicious. I am hoping to make some more on Sunday in readiness for the working weeks lunch.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You