Sunday, 20 August 2017

Runner Bean Salad

I have had a lazy weekend.  I have had a lie in which for me is often around 7.30am, then I was up.  I spent a few hours in the back garden, weeding and harvesting and D mowed the front garden. Then I spent a couple of hours in the kitchen - baking but part of it wondering what to do with the purple beans and runner beans harvested from the garden plot. 

I  think I may have mentioned before that I do struggle to know what to do with runner beans.  
Runner beans are often served as a side, and this Runner Bean Salad can also side but can hold its own too; and if you want to make it more substantial stir in some cous cous.

This Runner Bean Salad is made with thinly sliced red onion, black olives and and seasoned olive oil and white wine vinegar dressing, oh yes and runner beans, that have been cooked until they are al dente. 
I am sharing this simple Runner Bean Salad with Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen.  

12 comments:

  1. This salad sounds really tasty, no signs of struggle with not knowing what to do with runner beans:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika,
      I need lots of inspiration for runner beans.

      Delete
  2. It looks tasty and a great way to use up your beans. Thanks for sharing it at Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm similarly at a loss when it comes to runner beans. I tend to add a big dollop of harissa and hope for the best! I'm never sure that runner beans worth the effort that they take to prepare, but I think you've really done them justice there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey. I love the sound of harissa and have made a recipe from Veggiestanhttp://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/lemon-harissa-runner-beans.html

      But i agree with you - are they worth the effort growing, however i do love them and the red flowers are edible

      Delete
  4. I struggle to know what to do with runner beans too - when we lived in London our downstairs neighbour grew lots and would kindly give us some, but then I would be at a loss for how to use them up. I needed this recipe then but it will also work well for store bought beans!

    And I like the idea of a lie in until 7.30am... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. Yes this recipe is versatile and will work well for other beans too, but its runner beans we all seem to lack inspiration for... Still I will grow them.

      Delete
  5. Before I started reading the post I thought to myself, hmmm I never quite know what to do with runner beans, and indeed you had a great idea for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog, still seeking more inspiration though...

      Delete
  6. I go the South Indian route with mustard seeds, curry leaves, urid dal and fresh coconut. Not my favourite green veg but I buy it in season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like growing runner beans mostly, but this year so many of them have gone over and not enjoyable - have gone straight to the compost bin sadly.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You