Monday, 14 August 2017

Stuffed Courgette Tondo di Piacenza with Ricotta and Pine Nuts

Are you getting tired of my Courgette -  Zucchini recipes?!

If so, I am not that sorry as I am still set to continue with this seasonal vegetable.

Today, I share with you Stuffed Courgette Tondo di Piacenza with Ricotta.
This Courgette Tondo di Piacenza  with Ricotta with Pine Nuts is a little fancy to eat and sounds like a lot of faff to make, but it is actually quite simple to assemble.  The time consuming part is the hollowing out, the rest is a breeze.

I am not a huge fan of ricotta.  I find it flavourless.  Also it often gets overcooked and the consistency changes and that puts me off, however I was not going to let a past experience put me off and was willing to give ricotta a go again.  The ricotta filling in these round stuffed Courgettes is inspired by one of my favourite food writers Nadine Abensur from her cookbook Cranks Fast Food.  
So how do I feel about ricotta?!

Well, it was all very impressive and okay to eat, but I have to confess I am still not converted to Ricotta and still feel the same, but I will share the recipe as you may have a soft spot for it. 
I am also sharing it with Eat Your Greens.  

Stuffed Zucchini Tondo di Piacenza with Ricotta and Pine Nuts 
Makes 3
Serves 2 - 3
3 Courgette Tondo di Piacenza 
Slice the top of the round courgettes, so that you have a lid.
Then hollow out the bottom of the round courgettes or carefully hollow out the large long courgettes.  Or slice in half and do it boat style if it is easier
Keep the hollowed out courgette flesh, roughly chopped and set aside

Coat the outside of the courgettes with olive oil and then place on baking tray and bake for 20 minutes gas mark 5/200oc until they begin to soften.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

For the filling Adapted from Nadine Abensur Fast Food Cranks
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely minced
1 garlic clove, crushed
100g ricotta
1/2 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
50g fresh breadcrumbs
30g pine nuts, toasted
1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a pan, add the minced onion and crushed garlic and the chopped courgette flesh.
Slowly cook for 8 - 10 minutes until soft.  
Then turn off the heat and stir in the ricotta, vegetable stock powder, pine nuts breadcrumbs, chives and season to taste. 
Fill the cooled courgettes with the filling until compact.
Return to the oven and bake for 10 - 15 minutes.
Serve immediately

6 comments:

  1. Luckily I love ricotta and I'd love these so thanks for sharing the recipe anyway! The pine nuts and breadcrumbs must give them a lovely texture too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corina. I think I would like it more with a different cheese.

      Delete
  2. they look cute but I am not a ricotta lover either - though I think I would be very happy with a vegan approximation of ricotta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Ah I feel much better, knowing I am not alone in my dislike or not much liking for ricotta, I will eat it - but not overly enjoy it. I will have to try vegan ricotta, think i would def. like it. These can also be filled with a veggie mince which is what I will be doing soon with the others.

      Delete
  3. These zucchinis look so good and I would happily eat them away. I'm not sure how I feel about ricotta. I think it's fine, but I'm not overly enthusiastic. Or let's put it this way, I never use it myself in cooking, but happily eat it in dishes. That might make even less sense now. Anyway I think that I should give it a chance sometimes. This combination seems to work very well. Thank you for hosting the very green August round!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You